Tear Trough Treatment
1. In a nutshell what is Tear Trough treatment?
Tear trough is the name for the skin that marks the transition from the lower eyelid to the cheek. As a result of ageing or genetics this hollow can create eyebags and tear troughs, as well as a tired look.
Dermal fillers will even out the transition reducing the appearance of eye bags and tiredness, by creating volume from the mid-cheek.
The dermal fillers used contain hyaluronic acid, a substance natural to the human body.
2. Am I suitable for Tear Trough Treatment?
At Dental & Skin, we find that most patients are suitable for tear trough treatment.
If you are concerned about the appearance of hollows under your eyes, the appearance of eye bags and want to correct the tired look, pop by our London clinic for a free consultation.
Patients who are not suitable for cheek filler are: pregnant and breastfeeding women, patients with allergies.
3. What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a sugar molecule that exists naturally in the human body. It plays an important part in the transmission of nutrients as well as in the movement of joints.
Hyaluronic acid helps to maintain collagen levels, and is an excellent moisturiser for the skin.
It’s ability to keep the skin looking moisturised, create volume and boost elasticity all make hyaluronic acid an excellent anti-ageing product.
One of the greatest advantages of hyaluronic acid are their reversibility. If a patient requires for their cheek filler to be dissolved, this is easily done by injecting a substance called hyaluronidase.
Injecting hyaluronic acid can only be carried out by a trained practitioner, this is because only a trained doctor can estimate how much filler would need to be injected.
4. How long will the filler last for?
The lasting effects of dermal filler does vary from patient to patient, depending on how fast each individual patient’s’ body dissolves the filler.
However, the most common time for filler to last for is between 6-12 months.
We would recommend a top up treatment every 6 months to maintain optimum results.
5. What will happen at my appointment?
At Dental & Skin we offer all patients a free consultation. This is where we will assess the hollows under your eyes to your cheeks, and discuss your desired results and expectations from treatment. We will then offer our advice on which filler is best suited to your treatment needs.
Before we go ahead some medical history, and consent forms will need to be filled out.
The dermal filler will then be injected into the hollow between your eyelid and cheek in small amounts, using a fine needle. The treatment time usually lasts between 15-30 minutes long.
After treatment has been carried out we will offer our patient a review appointment to complete treatment notes and assess results in a few weeks time.
6. Which type of dermal filler is used?
- Juvederm is a popular brand of filler that can be used on all skin types.
- Juvederm is one of the more natural, smooth looking filler that produces long lasting results.
- Patients who are treated with Juvederm require little down time, and can resume normal activities. Other skin treatments can also be carried out with Juvederm.
- Juvederm is made up of hyaluronic acid, natural to the human body.
- Restylane is a great option for patients who want to build up volume and smooth out facial contours. This is because when injected, the doctor can mould the filler to the desired shape, and the patient can guide them too.
- With Restylane you are less likely to experience any lumps.
- Restylane is a good choice if you are concerned about your smokers lines.
- Restylane is made from hyaluronic acid, which dissolves naturally into the human body.
- Restylane does not contain an anaesthetic. Therefore for patients who are susceptible to pain, a local anaesthetic is often necessary.
- Perlane is a great option for patients who are concerned about the deeper wrinkles or lines on their face. This is due to Perlane being a denser molecule and so restoring greater volume.
- Perlane produces minimal bruising, however, most patients do not find this painful.
- The results from Perlane often last longer than other brands of filler, and is most commonly used on the cheeks and lips for deeper lines.
- Perlane is not a great option for patients who want to treat their fine lines.
7. What are the risks or side effects of tear trough?
Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers carry very little risk of reaction.
Patients are most likely to experience a reaction from the injection for example, bruising, swelling, lumps, injection into a blood vessel.
Headaches and migraines are a possible side effect with tear trough treatment.
Itchiness from injection can occur. This will reduce and disappear within a few days.
8. Post and Post Treatment Care
We would advise patients before treatment to avoid anti-inflammatory painkillers. Doing this will reduce the likeliness of bruising or swelling.
After treatment patients should: avoid direct sunlight, wear sunscreen, avoid heavy exercise for 24 hours and avoid alcohol for 1 to 2 days.
If patients do experience any bruising or swelling after treatment, this can be reduced by applying an ice pack onto your nose.
Patients should not touch the area for 6 hours after treatment, to allow the filler to settle into the skin.
9. Needle vs Cannula
Cannulas have many advantages over injecting with a needle, which make cannulas a great device for tear trough treatment which we use here at Dental & Skin.
Using a cannula means that there is less risk of swelling and bruising. This is due to the round end of the cannula which will push structures out of the way unlike a needle which will simply go through them.
A cannula gives the doctor much more control to feel any resistance, unlike with a needle which going in and out of the skin can cause trauma.
10. Why Tear Trough Treatment at Dental & Skin?
At Dental & Skin our doctor has a Masters in Restorative & Aesthetics with over 10 years experience in the field.
We offer free consultations and will provide patients with all knowledge prior to any treatment.
We offer many brands of filler and work with our patients desired results and expectations to provide excellent results.
We have the latest technology to create the best tear trough results.
We work around your busy schedule with evening appointments and review appointments.